Albany Law School
Dean Thomas F. Guernsey
Academic staff 54
Location Albany, New York, USA
Albany Law School is an ABA accredited law school based in Albany, New York. Founded in 1851 by Amos Dean (its dean until 1868), Amasa Parker, Ira Harris and others, Albany Law School is the oldest independentlaw school in the United States.
In 1875, Albany Law published the nation's first student edited law-review, the Albany Law School Journal. Now, the school publishes 3 journals: Albany Law Review, Albany Law Journal of Science & Technology, and Albany Government Law Review. Albany Law also has a student run newspaper, The Issue
Albany Law is the only law school located within New York's Capital District. Its location gives Albany Law students extensive access to internships and job opportunities. The State Legislature, New York Court of Appeals, The Appellate Division 3rd Department, countless state agencies, the Federal District Court for the Northern District of New York, the New York State Bar Association, and a huge number of private law firms call Albany home. In addition, Albany Law School operates several public interest clinics providing students with hands-on legal practice. Some of the clinics available include the Health Law, preface to Litigation, Low Income Taxpayer, Civil Rights and Disabilities, Domestic Violence, and Securities Arbitration.
Albany College of Pharmacy, Albany Law School, Albany Medical College, Dudley Observatory, Graduate College of Union University, and Union College jointly form Union University, a historic linkage dating back to 1873. Each member institution has its own governing board, is fiscally independent and is responsible for its own programs. See also: Union College's description of Union University.
Because of that affiliation, Albany Law School is proficient to offer 14 concentrations for J.D. candidates, as well as an L.L.M program, and joint J.D./M.B.A, J.D./M.P.A., J.D./M.R.P., J.D./M.S., and J.D./M.S.W. programs. The School also offers a Master of Science with a Tech Transfer Concentration. Albany Law School's Schaffer Law Library holds a compilation of over 620,000 volumes and equivalents, including videotapes of oral arguments before the New York State Court of Appeals dating reverse to 1989.
For the July 2008 bar exam, 82% of the first-time bar exam takers from Albany Law School passed the bar. The graduate employment rate is 94%, and larger than the national average.
* John Mosher Bailey, politician
* Marty Barrington, Senior VP and General Counsel, Phillip Morris International
* Jessica Bird, author
* Alexander Campbell Botkin, Lieutenant Governor of Montana
* David Josiah Brewer, former Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court
* Gregory B. Butler, Senior, VP and General Counsel, Northeast Utilities
* Kevin Cahill, politician
* Joseph L. Carrigg, politician
* John B. Cassoday, Chief Justice of the Wisconsin Supreme Court
* Amaro Cavalcanti, Brazilian born graduate, Justice of the Supreme Court of Brazil (1906–1914) and Justice of the International Court of Justice at the Hague (1917-1922). Mayor of Rio de Janeiro, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Attorney General and Minister of Justice of Brazil and one of the authors of Brazilian Constitution of 1891 (biography in www.stf.jus.br ).
* W. Sterling Cole, politician
* Edwin H. Conger, politician and diplomat
* Russell Conwell, lawyer and writer, founder and first President of Temple University
* Lawrence H. Cooke, former Chief Judge of New York State
* Barry M. Costello, Navy admiral
* Andrew Cuomo, former New York State Attorney General, Governor-elect of New York State.
* Richard J. Daronco, judge
* Mary Donohue, former Lieutenant Governor of New York State
* Richard K. Eaton, Judge, U.S. Court of International Trade
* Frank Fernandez, former executive VP, Secretary and General Counsel, The Home Depot Inc.
* Michael J. Garcia, U.S. Attorney, Southern District of New York
* Henry R. Gibson, politician
* Fabio M. Gomez, in-house counsel AIG
* Hon. Victoria A. Graffeo, associate Judge, New York State Court of Appeals
* Kristine Hamann, former New York State Inspector General
* Charles B. Hubbell, Chairman, New York State Public Service Commission. First President, New York City Board of Education
* Robert H. Jackson, former U.S. Attorney General, Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court and chief United States prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials.
* Megyn Kelly, news anchor, Fox News Channel.
* Carleton J. King, politician
* John Franklin Kinney, New York State Democratic operative.
* Abraham Lansing, New York State Treasurer; State Senate. Delegate to International Conference for Codification of the Law of Nations.
* William Paine Lord, 9th Governor of Oregon
* Moses A. Luce, lawyer, Medal of Honor recipient
* James A. MacAlister, former president of Drexel University
* David O'Brien Martin, politician
* Robert C. McEwen, politician
* William McKinley, 25th President of the United States
* William E. Miller, politician
* Edwin Sylvanus Osborne, politician and soldier
* Amasa J. Parker Jr., New York Assembly and Senate. Board President Albany Law School, 25 years.
* Richard Parsons, Chairman & former CEO of Time Warner
* John C. Pennie, American Peace Commission, World War I
* Frederick Walker Pitkin, 2nd Governor of Colorado
* Jeanine Pirro, politician, former Westchester County District Attorney
* Ralph L. Puglielle, Jr., Board of Directors, Newburgh Community Improvement Corporation
* John Raines, politician*Jason Reigert, politician,actor
* Joshua S. Salmon (1846–1902), represented the 4th congressional district from 1902 to 1903.
* J. Ward Russell (August 26, 1876 - February 9, 1967) was a Judge, two term Mayor of Glens Falls, NY, Attorney, and career civil servant
* John L. Sampson Chairman of Senate Judiciary Committee, New York Senator
* Charles J. Siragusa, Judge in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
* Aaron J. Smalls, lawyer, actor (Left/Right (released 2008))
* Hiram Y. Smith, politician
* David Soares, Albany County District Attorney
* Kate Stoneman, first woman admitted to the New York State Bar
* Dean P. Taylor, politician
* Michele Titus, politician
* Seymour Van Santvoord, Chairman, New York State Public Service Commission.
* Tom Vilsack, U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, former Governor of Iowa
* Stephen P. Younger, President of the New York State Bar Association
* Mark Zaid, lawyer
Source - wikipedia.org
Tags - Albany Law School, New York Law School Rankings, scholarships, admission requirements, part time, aba approved online law school, top law school forum, degree grants, personal statement
|< Prev||Next >|
Top Quality! The team here produces absolutely fantastic service which are forward thinking, top quality and amaze me every single time.
Professional, informative and swift service are essential when I am working with legal business. Again, the team fulfill all these points and provide even more. I am happy to be a continued Subscriber...